In August 2001, Korey Stringer, a Minnesota Vikings offensive lineman, passed away from exertional heat stroke. During Korey's five-year tenure in the NFL he earned pro-bowl honors. Since the time of Korey's death, his wife, Kelci, worked tirelessly to develop an exertional heat stroke prevention institute to honor her husband's legacy. To that end, she joined forces with exertional heat stroke expert Douglas Casa, Ph.D, ATC at the University of Connecticut to make this dream a reality and the institute came to fruition in April 2010.
The mission of the Korey Stringer Institute is to provide research, education, advocacy and consultation to maximize performance, optimize safety and prevent sudden death for the athlete, warfighter and laborer.
KSI is partnered with the National Football League (NFL), Gatorade, National Athletic Trainers' Association (NATA), Camelbak, Kestrel, Mission,First Line Technology, and Eagle Pharmaceuticals to further advance its efforts and goals.
- NFL Webinar on Heat Stroke with Dr. Doug Casa (Registration) July 24, 2021
- America’s No. 1 Weather Killer Is Not Tornadoes, Flooding, Lightning or Hurricanes June 7, 2021
- All Things AT: Behind the Tape: Dr. Douglas Casa, January 29th, 2021 February 10, 2021
- Heat is killing more people than ever. Scientists are looking for ways to lower the risk (Science) December 6, 2020
- Healthy Young Athlete Podcast June 29th, 2020 What you need to know about EHS December 6, 2020
- CIAC Distributes Cold Water Immersion Tubs to 74 Schools (CIAC Sports) December 6, 2020
- NFL Partner Korey Stringer Institute Drives Progress in Safety (Player Health) December 6, 2020
- Korey Stringer Institute: Progress Made in High School Sports Safety Policies (UCONN Today) August 15, 2020
- Returning To Training During A Pandemic (ThreeCycleStrength) June 18, 2020
- One in three U.S. high schools have no athletic trainers (Reuters) December 12, 2019
- The risks athletes face when there is a lack of athletic trainers November 20, 2019
- Standing Tall:Swoboda Overcomes Life-Threatening Ordeal-VirginiaSports August 24, 2019
- Collapse and Confusion: The Death of a Juco Football Player (SI) July 3, 2019
- Soccer and Extreme Heat: US-France World Cup Match (GMA) June 30, 2019
- After 2 boot camp deaths at Great Lakes base, Navy urges vigilance for recruits with sickle cell trait (Chicago Tribune) May 31, 2019
- Sex difference in initial thermoregulatory response to dehydrated exercise in the heat
- Wearable and telemedicine innovations for Olympic events and elite sport
- Abdominal Adiposity in Collegiate Football Linemen: A Study of Race and Position
- Epidemiology of sudden death in organized school sports in Japan
- Effects of Face Mask Use on Objective and Subjective Measures of Thermoregulation During Exercise in the Heat